Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Face of God

Moses asked to see God's face.
But Moses was, for his own good, denied.
"No one sees my face and lives," came the voice, present, disembodied.
It's the face of Life.
But it's this very face that hides for the sake of life.
Moses was troubled, "Die? God, why is this?"
"I didn't say die. It's that you won't be able to live.
To see my expression is to become obsessed with it.
A smile suggests to you I'm not paying attention. Or worse, that you've behaved me into higher spirits.
A scowl, a frown, and you'd assume you were the cause of it as well.
Or perhaps those you continue to hate were.
A look of surprise, and you'd wonder if I had a plan, if I were a waste of trust.
A creased and raised brow, and you'd believe I pace the floor about your days.
A wrinkled nose, and you'd spend your life trying to remain perfect and clean.
Expressionlessness, and you'd forever doubt I had any heart at all.
Moses, to see my face is to be haunted by what you might do to change it.
To be consumed by the fear of fickle emotion behind it.
Moses, no one sees my face and lives."
But Moses persisted, "God, surely in your every countenance there is goodness.
How long before you turn your face toward me?"
And God replied, "This is goodness and life, Moses; I have no face."

2 comments:

Lee said...

Just amazing....definitely thought provoking. Just found this spot....I enjoyed the one titled "Heaven was the other way". My husband, Bob, who recently passed away, once told me he let the air out of a guys' tire for cutting him off in a parking lot. I just couldn't believe he would do that. This little essay reminded me of that. I guess he had a dog inside too! But, now he is in heaven...no more dogs? Have a great weekend. Lee

Michael Myers said...

Awesome stuff, Steve! And here I was, thinking that I was the only person who had stories like this running through my head. It's nice to know I don't day-dream alone! :)

Back to the point: (In the same vein, possibly a different thread) What if, just as with words, the observer chooses the interpretation? The true expression or intent may become lost if the viewer doesn't/can't see the whole. This is especially true if the entirety is so large that it would take more than a lifetime to comprehend. If we spent our lives simply searching for the face of God, we might stop short and assume we've found the total picture. We mistake a 'facet' for a 'face', when in reality every piece is just a part of the whole, beautiful image. Not to jump off into the existential deep end, but everything from how we understand, explain, and define the universe (math, science, art, religion, etc.) to how we exist, observe, and interact with it could all be curves and lines on the face of the Creator...